The Director, Donor Communications will be instrumental in advancing the work of GO Public Schools. Your primary responsibility will be to help GO engage the hearts and minds of our supporters via external communications and collateral. You will do this by staying abreast of GO’s impact and programs and by using this knowledge to compose winning grant proposals, clear and inspiring grant reports, and persuasive content for various donor communications throughout the year. In this role, you will also have an opportunity to conduct regular research on donors and prospective donors in order to inform GO’s voice and strategy with these audiences, as well as contribute to the development of new content for fundraising campaigns poised for launch in 2017-18. This is a fantastic opportunity for a superb communicator and writer, creative and strategic thinker, and flexible, experienced project manager who wants to contribute their talents to an organization poised for significant growth.
This role reports directly to the Senior Director of Development, Amy Rodriguez Bolar, and also works closely with CEO Jonathan Klein and many others across the GO team.
Specific projects will vary and will evolve dynamically as GO grows and matures, but in this role you will:
- Partner closely with fellow GO team members to deeply understand, monitor and communicate our work, strategy and progress for a range of external audiences
- Write, organize, and edit superb and timely grant proposals and reports for prospective and current funding sources
- Track and maintain GO’s ongoing calendar of grant proposal and report deadlines
- Spearhead the development of external collateral and digital e-communications that powerfully represent and promote GO’s work and campaigns
- Gather insights and conduct online research on supporters and prospective supporters, in order to help inform GO’s strategy and voice with external audiences
- Work with the Senior Director, Development on special projects and strategic, tailored correspondence with donors, as needed
You are an excellent communicator, and are particularly skilled with written communication and the presentation of complex ideas into clear, compelling prose. You also thrive on the opportunity to apply your versatile communication and project planning skills across a range of essential development functions. In a week’s time, you can create a thoughtful and compelling first draft of a six-figure grant proposal, help to inspire our funders by collecting and curating stories and content from the field for a donor e-newsletter, and begin work on a comprehensive and clear grant report due next month. You believe deeply in the power of education to change lives, and can’t wait to contribute to GO’s mission.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an exceptionally clear, persuasive, and efficient writer who can make the complex simple and compel others to action
- Demonstrate impeccable detail orientation and follow-through in a dynamic environment to achieve strong results, and a high capacity to track and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Seek feedback based on a personal commitment to excellence and constant learning. You thrive on input from multiple sources, and can iterate quickly and thoughtfully to produce outstanding work
- Demonstrate an ability to exercise initiative and display good judgement
- Be an enthusiastic and collaborative teammate who builds positive relationships
- Have a career path that includes at least two years of development and/or grant writing experience, or that includes experience in a similar environment that requires the above skills
- Have a passion for improving public education, and a background in and/or knowledge of the K-12 education landscape
- Have experience with Campaign Monitor, or similar e-communications platform and Salesforce a plus
Email a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to Amy Rodriguez Bolar, Senior Director of Development, at email@example.com.
The position is open and posted until filled.
Benefits and Salary
The salary range for this role is $76,000 – $84,000. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between an Anthem PPO or Kaiser HMO
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6 weeks of 40% pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities