At GO Public Schools Fresno (GO Fresno), we believe that every child deserves a high quality education. To get us closer to that goal we organize, align and develop leaders within the community to advocate for new policies that will help ensure more children are prepared to live a happy and successful life.
At GO Fresno we believe that our school system is stronger and healthier when more families, young people and educators are a part of the decision-making process, so we are seeking a Coordinator of Community Engagement to ensure that we identify and develop a strong base of community leaders. This team member will be charged with building on the existing knowledge, skill, and will of parent and community leaders, as well as bringing us all together in service of students and families across Fresno.
Our work environment, and the nature of this work in particular, is fast-paced and values-driven. The ideal candidate must be a natural self-starter who can manage multiple projects and work streams. This position will serve on the GO Fresno team, report to Executive Director Diego Arambula, and should be available immediately.
This team member will be be responsible for the following work streams:
- Build and sustain ongoing positive and productive relationships with community members and organizations across Fresno.
- Execute a range of engagement and leadership development opportunities for GO network members.
- Help to build relationships with key individual and organizational stakeholders in each neighborhood of the city.
- Ensure that GO Fresno’s work is informed by, and in service of, the needs of the community.
- Ensure the GO network (e.g., families, educators, and community members) continuously grows both in numbers and capacity to create policy change.
- Provide critical strategic and operational support for engagement initiatives.
- Continuously track important metrics and progress to goals to ensure data is accessible and effectively able to inform execution of engagement work.
- Prepare materials for meetings and events to drive to objectives.
- Successfully execute engagement events and meetings and provide onsite support, including scheduling, participant registration, and event planning.
- Support outreach efforts and liaison with partners and family leaders.
- Leads work to engage community members in visioning process for Fresno’s educational future.
- Champion parent and family leadership through the design and implementation of a challenging and inspiring Parent Leadership Fellowship for Fresno parents.
- Oversee the design and implementation of a fellowship program that educates and empowers parents to pursue excellence in their children’s education.
- Recruit diverse and representative cohorts of parents across all public schools to participate in the fellowship.
- In partnership with the 501(c)(4) organization, GO Public Schools Advocates, provide leadership around activating community on policy advocacy and local elections that ensure excellent leadership on the Fresno Unified school board and to support any ballot measures that our organization endorses.
To apply, a candidate must:
- Be bilingual, and extremely comfortable in spoken English and Spanish.
- Be culturally competent, working well with people from many different backgrounds.
- Be able to complete tasks and host events without direct oversight.
- Relate well with parents and young people
The ideal candidate for this role will have the following characteristics:
- Strong Team Member
- Project manager – This person is a project manager with a results and action orientation. They get things done efficiently.
- Values-aligned – This person is motivated by the vision and values of GO Public Schools.
- Team player – This leader will excel in a small-team environment that requires team members to wear many hats and support each other’s work (e.g., have “all hands on deck” for a particular project or event).
- 3+ years work experience
- Achiever – This person is a renowned performer with solid leadership skills and a history of doing excellent-quality work.
- Goal-driven and organized – This leader is driven to achieve GO’s vision. This leader sets and uses goals to help colleagues, teams, partners, and volunteers work toward that vision.
- Pro-active initiative-taker – She or he comes to conversations with proposed solutions to problems whenever possible.
- Growth mindset – This leader believes that they can improve their leadership skills over time and is eager to ask for and receive feedback.
- Written language – An ability to translate into written Spanish is a strong attribute, but not required.
- Oral translations – An ability to help translate during meetings is a strong attribute, but not required.
Additional Details & Application Directions
Application Requirements and Process
Please send a resume and cover letter to Diego Arambula by May 26th at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the header of the email please include your full name and the position for which you are applying.
Benefits and Salary
The salary for this position is $43,000-$46,000. Consideration for a higher base salary commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between HealthNet or Kaiser
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- Time off
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6 weeks of 40% pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Other Benefits
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Paid office parking
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Support for new parents that are required to travel with partial reimbursement for accompanying caregiver travel expense or reimbursement for nursing mothers to ship breast milk home.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all backgrounds without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, marital status, genetics, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
About GO Public Schools Fresno
GO Public Schools Fresno is a newly launched organization that supports a coalition of families, educators, young people and community leaders from district and charter public schools in Fresno Unified who share a vision of a Fresno where every child receives an education that prepares them to succeed in life and work in the 21st century.
This new local organization is affiliated with GO Public Schools and leverages the experiences and practices of GO Public Schools, which has successfully been impacting education policy and outcomes in Oakland since its inception in 2008 and in West Contra Costa since 2015.